'What can I do?': Ewan McGregor's estranged wife breaks her silence on their split with despairing response to savage 'wh**e' insult about his new love on Instagram
- The actor, 46, confirmed he had split from Eve after 22 years together last month
- Ewan's romance with Fargo co-star Mary Elizabeth Winstead, 32, came to light before he announced the separation from his wife
- The pair were thought to have separated in May, but Eve posted a photo of the actor on the app in June, captioned: 'My love plays the blues in Montreal'
- Production designer Eve has now broken her silence by responding to a comment about Mary Elizabeth on Instagram
They announced their shock separation last month, after the actor's new romance with Mary Elizabeth Winstead emerged.
Now Ewan McGregor's estranged wife Eve Mavrakis has finally broken her silence on the split - by responding to a comment about her ex's new girlfriend on Instagram.
When a savage comment was posted about Mary Elizabeth, 32, underneath one of her photos, Eve made her feelings about Ewan's new romance known for the first time - in a very public address of their split.
Scroll down for video
Speaking out: Ewan McGregor's estranged wife Eve Mavrakis has finally broken her silence on their split - by responding to a comment about his new girlfriend on Instagram
The comments appear beside a photo on Eve's Instagram account, which was posted to honour a screenwriting pal's birthday in October.
Clearly angered by their recent separation, a friend of the 51-year-old French beauty penned underneath: 'I can’t believe Ewan would end things with u for that cheap w**re! U are so much better than him!!!! Take him for every penny u can!!!!'
To which a distraught Eve, who has four children with the actor, 46, simply replied: 'What can I do?'
Off-screen chemistry: Ewan starred alongside new girlfriend Mary Elizabeth Winstead (pictured) in the FX series Fargo - in which she played his sexy love interest Nikki Swango
Honest: The comments appear beside a photo on Eve's Instagram account, which was posted to honour a screenwriting pal's birthday in October
Furious: A friend of the French production designer penned a brutal comment about Mary underneath, leading Eve to address the split for the first time
Ewan had commented on another photo posted by Eve in May 2016 from his verified Instagram account, proving her page to be genuine.
MailOnline have contacted Ewan and Eve's representatives for comment.
Ewan and his co-star's romance came as a shock to fans - as pictures of the pair kissing on a dinner date surfaced before the actor had announced his split from his wife.
Confirmation: Ewan had commented on another photo posted by Eve in May 2016 from his verified Instagram account, proving her account to be genuine
Out of the blue: Ewan and Mary Elizabeth's romance came as a shock to fans - with pictures of the pair kissing emerging last month, before Ewan had announced his split from his wife
It has since emerged that Ewan and Eve had split in May - the same month Mary Elizabeth announced her separation from her husband Riley Stearns.
However, Eve had shared a photo of the Moulin Rouge star on Instagram in June, captioned: 'My love plays the blues in Montreal'.
New couple Ewan and Mary Elizabeth starred together in the FX series Fargo - where Mary Elizabeth played his sexy love interest Nikki Swango.
Over: It has since emerged that Ewan and Eve (above) had split in May - the same month Mary Elizabeth announced her separation from her husband Riley Stearns
Meanwhile, Ewan and his estranged wife Eve met on the set of TV show Kavanagh QC before the Scottish star became a big name in Hollywood. They share four children together.
Eve, who was married to the actor for 22 years, has since been staying in America with their four daughters since the first pictures of the actor and his new lover emerged.
Meanwhile Ewan was seen unpacking boxes outside what appeared to be his new bachelor pad in Los Angeles last week - implying he has moved out of the family home.
Confused: However, Eve had shared a photo of the Moulin Rouge star on Instagram in June, captioned: 'My love plays the blues in Montreal'
According to recent reports, Eve felt 'sick and furious' at the affair allegations. The French production designer, who has been seen without her wedding ring, is trying to remain as 'dignified' as possible.
She did not know the actress had had a 'teenage crush' on her husband when she had her over for dinner with their children in Los Angeles last December while the two were filming Fargo.
A source told The Sun: 'She is doing her best to handle it with dignity. But what makes it worse is she has been told Mary Elizabeth had a teenage crush on Ewan. I'm sure a lot of people did but they didn't go and have an affair with him.'
They added: 'Mary went to the house once and met Eve and the kids over dinner. She was very cordial. It seemed logical she should get to know Ewan and the family.'
Moving on: Meanwhile Ewan was seen unpacking boxes outside what appeared to be his new bachelor pad in Los Angeles last week - implying he had moved out of the family home
Most watched News videos
- Turpin: CCTV appears to show siblings after parents' arrests
- Police dashcam footage captures 'reckless' Audi S4 driver
- Simon Barnes who played Tinky Winky in Teletubbies passes away
- Comedian Steve Brown attacked by audience member at show
- Jane Fonda visits an anti aircraft battery camp in Vietnam
- 'Shoplifting' customer runs at Tesco staff with stick during fight
- Comedian Steve Brown talks about being attacked on stage
- Shooting in Midtown Manhattan leaves three men wounded
- Man accused of stealing from bins punched to the ground in street
- Tsunami warning in Alaska prompts queues of people waiting to evacuate
- Coffin of Dolores O'Riordan is being carried into church
- National champ Mattie Larson slams pedophile doc Larry Nassar