Real Madrid 'in crisis': Spanish press react after Cristiano Ronaldo and Co suffer embarrassing La Liga defeat
- Real Madrid were beaten for second consecutive La Liga match at the Bernabeu
- Result left Zinedine Zidane's side 16 points behind league leaders Barcelona
- Madrid created multiple opportunities to score but were wasteful in front of goal
- The 'in crisis' European giants were criticised in the Spanish press on Sunday
Zinedine Zidane's men suffered yet another loss on Saturday, with Pablo Fornals applying a sublime finish to an 87th-minute counter-attack for the Yellow Submarine.
Madrid-based publication Marca branded the performance 'inexplicable', and suggested the lack of goals has played a key role in Real's struggles this season.
Mundo Deportivo claimed Real Madrid are 'in crisis' while AS also criticised the Spanish giants
Marca branded the performance 'inexplicable' while Sport said the La Liga outfit 'collapsed'
Cristiano Ronaldo has now gone three league games without a goal, after the Portuguese failed to find a way past Sergio Asenjo.
The Villarreal shot-stopper produced an inspired performance at the Bernabeu, producing a string of fine saves to leave Madrid with a deserved clean sheet.
AS were another publication to hit out Ronaldo and Co, with their Sunday headline reading: 'Without goals, without luck and without explanation'.
And the criticism didn't stop there. Mundo Deportivo claimed Zidane's side are 'in crisis' after they failed to close the gap on league leaders Barcelona.
Real are 16 points behind the Nou Camp outfit, who could extend their lead over their arch rivals with a win over Real Sociedad on Sunday.
Mundo Deportivo went on to claim 'Villarreal beat them at the Bernabeu and risk their place in the Champions League'.
Cristiano Ronaldo was frustrated as they slumped to their second La Liga loss at home in a row
Gareth Bale went close on multiple occasions in each half but couldn't find the back of the net
Zidane's side reached the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey — where they will face Leganes — in midweek, but went into their La Liga clash some 16 points behind rivals Barcelona.
Los Blancos failed to eat into that massive gap after a sublime finish from Fornals scored for the visitors, who had Asenjo to thank for a number of vital saves.
After Gareth Bale saw his header correctly ruled out for offside, Asenjo saved superbly from Marcelo's thunderous drive and Ronaldo's free-kick, before also denying the Portuguese forward from close range on the stroke of half-time.
Asenjo made a number of more routine saves in the second period before the visitors cleared a late Real corner and set Denis Cheryshev clear down the left.
The half-time substitute found Enes Unal in the centre of the penalty area and, although Unal's shot was blocked by the onrushing Keylor Navas, it landed for Fornals to chip a first-time shot over the despairing goalkeeper.
Madrid's chances went begging and Pablo Fornals struck late on to secure the three points
Most watched Sport videos
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan: I've always dreamt of playing for Arsenal
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan's career in numbers
- Arsenal footballer Alexis Sanchez boards jet to Manchester
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil enjoys a stroll around London
- Liverpool boss Klopp left frustrated after Swansea upset
- Premier League transfers: Sanchez and Mkhitaryan swap confirmed
- Arsene Wenger on Alexis Sanchez's decision to leave Arsenal
- Kyle Edmund in profile: Who is Britain's new tennis star?
- Tributes pour in for ex-England captain Jimmy Armfield
- 'We are not close to any deal': Wenger on signing Aubameyang
- Anthony Joshua on good form at Lucozade 'Made To Move' sesh
- Women's FA manager Phil Neville talks about wife's busy schedule