'I think he might be struggling, it may be a confidence issue': Chelsea icon Frank Lampard criticises Tiemoue Bakayoko's performance against Leicester on Match of the Day
- Frank Lampard has slammed Tiemoue Bakayoko's performance on Saturday
- The Chelsea icon described Bakayoko as slow and suggested he is struggling
- Bakayoko played in central midfield alongside Cesc Fabregas and N'Golo Kante
- The Premier League champions were held to a third 0-0 draw in-a-row
Chelsea legend Frank Lampard has fiercely criticised current Stamford Bridge midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko after his performance in the 0-0 draw against Leicester on Saturday.
Bakayoko played in a central midfield trio alongside Cesc Fabregas and N'Golo Kante with Antonio Conte opting for stability rather than one of Willian or Pedro alongside the attacking duo of Eden Hazard and Alvaro Morata.
The selection failed to pay off as the Premier League champions were held to a third 0-0 draw in-a-row on a frustrating afternoon.
Lampard, who made 649 appearances and won three league titles and the Champions League at Stamford Bridge, took aim at Bakayoko for his sluggish display on Match of the Day.
Frank Lampard has criticised Chelsea's Tiemoue Bakayoko after his performance on Saturday
'You talk about wanting to do the basics when it isn't going as well for you but you have to make recovery runs,' the 39-year-old said.
'If you recover at pace there you can get the second ball but he doesn't.
'He's body language is slow, he sticks half a leg out at the ball. Fans will stick with you if you show reactions and urgency but he's not moving quickly enough and he has to switch on.
'You can have a dip when you come from another league but we are in January now and I really think he needs to start picking up.
'I think he might be struggling, it may be a confidence issue.'
Lampard and Ian Wright took aim at Bakayoko for his sluggish display on Match of the Day
Bakayoko struggled in a central midfield trio alongside Cesc Fabregas and N'Golo Kante
Ian Wright, who was on the show alongside Lampard and host Gary Lineker, was also not impressed by the former Monaco midfielder and described the selection as 'very confusing'.
'Now he's started 17 games out of 23 and there's a lack of intensity and drive,' added Wright.
'The fact that he's starting in front of Willian and Pedro is very confusing to me.
Most watched Sport videos
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan: I've always dreamt of playing for Arsenal
- Arsenal footballer Alexis Sanchez boards jet to Manchester
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil enjoys a stroll around London
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan's career in numbers
- Premier League sackings: Which managers have faced the axe?
- Premier League transfers: Sanchez and Mkhitaryan swap confirmed
- What a goal! A fit Henrikh Mkhitaryan scores a wonder goal
- Jadon Sancho and Aubameyang dance to rap music in car
- Pep Guardiola congratulates Man United on Alexis Sanchez deal
- Pogba, Lukaku and Lingard perform team-mate's Martial's chant
- Manchester United players celebrate after Stoke win
- Arsene Wenger says Alexis Sanchez is 'likely to move to Man Utd