Arsenal to fork out £45m on January target Malcom as Alexis Sanchez is set to leave with Chilean uncertain to start against Bournemouth
- Arsenal are bidding for winger Malcom ahead of Alexis Sanchez's departure
- Negotiations will continue through the month with Bordeaux wanting £45m
- Sanchez meanwhile is seemingly certain to leave for Manchester United or City
Alexis Sanchez is not certain to start against Bournemouth, as his relationship with the Arsenal squad and staff has deteriorated against the backdrop of his expected move this month to Manchester City or Manchester United.
It is difficult to envisage Sanchez staying beyond January, but Arsenal will not sell him unless they can bring in a replacement, with a £35m bid for 20-year-old Malcom expected this week.
The Brazilian, who can play wide right or left, is an outstanding technical player though Arsenal recognise he will take time to adapt to the physicality of the Premier League. Negotiations are likely to continue throughout the month with Bordeaux holding out for £45m.
Alexis Sanchez is not certain to start against Bournemouth as he looks set to leave Arsenal
Arsenal are preparing a £35m bid for Bordeaux winger Malcom ahead of Sanchez's departure
Negotiations are likely to continue throughout the month with Bordeaux holding out for £45m
Sanchez was left on the bench for the Carabao Cup semi final against Chelsea partly because of the transfer issue and the distance it had placed between him and his team-mates during training sessions in the run up to the game.
With the player set on leaving, and ideally wanting to join his former manager Pep Guardiola at Manchester City though he is also considering Manchester United’s bid, Arsenal have been moving to ensure a replacement comes this month.
Thomas Lemar was initially Wenger’s favourite but Arsenal failed to land him with a £90m bid last August, when Sanchez was on the verge of joining City for £50m.
Thomas Lemar was initially Wenger’s favourite however the £90m asking price is too steep
Arsenal won’t now pay the same amount, given the reduced value of Sanchez, who only has six months left on his contract and is free in the summer.
Lemar has had a dip in form since that move fell through and Malcom has impressed since then and is available for around half the price that Arsenal bid for Lemar.
Arsenal will also consider bidding for a centre half this January, having tried and failed to dissuade Virgil van Dijk from joining Liverpool.
Most watched Sport videos
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan: I've always dreamt of playing for Arsenal
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan's career in numbers
- Arsenal footballer Alexis Sanchez boards jet to Manchester
- Arsenal star Mesut Ozil enjoys a stroll around London
- Arsene Wenger on Alexis Sanchez's decision to leave Arsenal
- Premier League transfers: Sanchez and Mkhitaryan swap confirmed
- Liverpool boss Klopp left frustrated after Swansea upset
- Kyle Edmund in profile: Who is Britain's new tennis star?
- 'We are not close to any deal': Wenger on signing Aubameyang
- Women's FA manager Phil Neville talks about wife's busy schedule
- Tributes pour in for ex-England captain Jimmy Armfield
- Anthony Joshua on good form at Lucozade 'Made To Move' sesh