Egos in disguise: It's not just Gary Oldman as Churchill. Suddenly all the A-list want parts where you can't even recognise it's them... so can you tell who is really who?
Gary Oldman was unrecognisable as Winston Churchill in the Darkest Hour
It was once said of film stars that their face was their fortune.
But now A-list actors must compete for parts in which their closest family wouldn’t recognise them.
Leading the charge has been Gary Oldman, who so convincingly disguised his looks to play Winston Churchill in the new film Darkest Hour.
Refusing to put on five stone to play the part, Oldman, 59, instead spent four hours in make-up every day, starting as early as 1.45am, to be transformed into the spitting image of the wartime Prime Minister.
He said of the experience: ‘It’s oddly liberating.
I liken it to wearing a Halloween costume: if you have ever worn a mask, you lose your inhibitions.’
Losing themselves in outlandish costumes may have been liberating too, for these household names – but can you put a name to the heavily made-up face?
Nicole Kidman doesn't look especially glamorous playing Detective Erin Bell in Destroyer
Kylie Minogue should be so lucky pictured here on set of Swinging Safari
Can you believe this is Cher appearing in the sequal to Mamma Mia
Keira Knightley appears in Disney's new version of The Nutcracker
Johnny Depp looks truly menacing playing gangster James Whitey Bulger in Black Mass
Jennifer Saunders would shock her Absolutely Fabulous alter-ego in this costume
Meryl Streep, pictured, has played the Iron Lady, and A Bag Lady and now is Into the Woods
Mackenzie Crook, pictured here plays Veran in the new series Britannia
Halle Berry in Cloud Atlas looks completely unrecognisable to her normal self
His Lordship wouldn't be too impressed with Lady Mary's latest outfit in Good Behavior
This Hollywood star looks divine appearing in Cloud Atlas alongside Doona Bae
Joan Collins, pictured here in the forthcoming film Gerry is a long way from Dynasty
Most watched News videos
- Jane Fonda visits an anti aircraft battery camp in Vietnam
- Dramatic moment 19-year-old man is hit by 'Audi' in Derby
- Louise Turpin's sister talks about their unusual sex life
- 'They should be in prison': SAS Hero Bob Curry on Iranian siege
- The street in Birmingham that makes a family feel TRAPPED
- 'I want to marry mommy!': Four-year-old objects to mom's engagement
- Surfer dramatically rides large wave off the coast of Portugal
- Philadelphia Eagles fan smacks into pole while running for train
- Father and son speak out after being brutally bashed in Melbourne
- Team Brady: Gisele cheers on husband Tom and the Patriots
- Larry Nassar's final victim, 15, slams the pedophile doctor
- Couple arrested over 'worst ever child abuse death'