Plane crazy: The terrifying quarter-mile-long landing strip on Caribbean island that ends with cliffs into the sea
- Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport has the shortest commercial runway in the world
- The airport is on the island of Saba and is surrounded by cliffs and ocean
- Its runway is 400m long and is a challenge for the most experienced of pilots
Take-off and landing during any flight can be a nail-biting experience for some.
But how would you feel when you knew the run way was just 400m long and a sheer drop and crashing waves awaited you at the end?
This is the case for pilots landing on the Carribean island of Saba at Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport - the shortest runway in the world.
Footage shows the tiny landing strip on the tropical island moments before a plane lands.
The runway teeters on the edge of the island and is surrounded by cliffs and water making the landing even more impressive.
In the video a small plane swoops into land and appears to bring the aircraft in with ease despite the risk that lies ahead.
Footage shows a plane landing on the runway of Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport airport on the Carribean island of Saba which boasts the smallest commerical landing strip in the world
The runway has been voted the most scenic place to land a plane in a poll due to the clear blue ocean - despite a challenging approach.
In the video the plane takes just ten seconds to land on the tiny strip.
To put the challenge into perspective Heathrow runway is 3,900m long making it ten times longer than the landing strip on the island of Saba.
However Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport only allows small aircraft and helicopters to land which is probably a good thing due to its lack of airtraffic control.
The runway is just 400m long and is surrounded by a sheer drop of cliffs and crashing waves which make landing a plane a risky ordeal
Most watched News videos
- Turpin: CCTV appears to show siblings after parents' arrests
- Simon Barnes who played Tinky Winky in Teletubbies passes away
- Police dashcam footage captures 'reckless' Audi S4 driver
- 'Shoplifting' customer runs at Tesco staff with stick during fight
- Comedian Steve Brown attacked by audience member at show
- Jane Fonda visits an anti aircraft battery camp in Vietnam
- Shooting in Midtown Manhattan leaves three men wounded
- Man accused of stealing from bins punched to the ground in street
- Tsunami warning in Alaska prompts queues of people waiting to evacuate
- Coffin of Dolores O'Riordan is being carried into church
- National champ Mattie Larson slams pedophile doc Larry Nassar
- Comedian Steve Brown talks about being attacked on stage