Thrifty mother of six, 28, shares her top tips for renovating kitchens on a budget - and you'll never guess how much she spent!
- A thrifty mother-of-six has shared her top tips for renovating your home kitchen
- Krechelle Carter, from Adelaide, gave humble kitchen an extensive makeover
- The average cost of kitchen renovations in Australia is around $17,000
- But the mother - who has six children under the age of six - saved thousands
- Here, the-28-year-old shares tips on where to cut corners on kitchen renovation
She's the thrifty mother-of-six who dishes out her savviest cooking secrets on feeding your family on a budget.
And now Krechelle Carter, from Adelaide, has shared her top tips on where to cut corners on a kitchen renovation without sacrificing quality and style.
The 28-year-old - who blogs under Eight at Home - turned her humble kitchen into an modernised space after undergoing an extensive makeover.
The average cost of kitchen renovations in Australia is around $17,000 - so how much did the space set Krechelle back?
A thrifty mother shares a 'before' photograph of her kitchen before undergoing an extensive makeover - so much money was she set back?
The Adelaide mother-of-six turned her humble kitchen into an modernised space (pictured)
Krechelle Carter (pictured with her six children) has shared her top tips on where to cut corners on a kitchen renovation without sacrificing quality and style
Budget kitchens can start anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000 - while luxury kitchens start from $45,000 and can go to at least $100,000, Domain reported.
'We managed to get away with this kitchen renovation for $5000,' Krechelle said.
'Which may seem like a lot. But when your starting from scratch and redoing the whole thing. It's a bloody bargain,' she said.
Here, the mother - who has six children under the age of six - reveals her tips for modernising your space on a budget.
Krechelle suggested shopping in the clearance section or lookout for 'end of line' products
Krechelle said she purchased her kitchen cupboards, sink, tap, bench tops and cabinetry from IKEA.
Her bench tops cost her just a measly $200 because they were tagged as clearance.
She advised choosing timber over stone would save you thousands of dollars on your kitchen renovations.
'Our IKEA kitchen came with a 25 year warranty!! Bargain,' she said.
Another tip she shared was keeping a lookout on Gumtree for kitchens in perfect conditions at affordable prices.
'A lot of people are ripping out perfectly wonderful wooden cabinetry that can be reused and repainted,' she said.
She advised choosing timber over stone would save you thousands of dollars on your kitchen
'I'm not one to simplify. I totally get the simplistic look and LOVE it. But for me homes are all about looking busy in a good way,' she said.
Krechelle said she finds most of her kitchen decor in the clearance section at Kmart, Spotlight, antique shops and charity stores.
ADD A TOUCH OF NATURE
'I may have gone a bit overboard but I love plants! They give it life! And I just feel greenery really picks up a room,' she said.
She turns to Bunnings Warehouse for her indoor plants.
'TOP TIP! Bunnings will replace any plants that die (or that you kill because you barely keep yourself alive) within twelve months of purchase - just keep your receipt WHAT?!?!?!!!! Yep total truth,' she said.
Krechelle said she finds most of her kitchen decor in the clearance section at bargain stores
She highly recommended purchasing 'end of line' kitchen appliances - meaning disconnected products the retailer will no longer reorder and stock.
'And my Russell Hobbs toaster and kettle were on sale and then because I bought a stove I got a further fifteen percent discount- because I asked ! Shapow,' she said.
Krechelle recommended looking out for sales at Beaumont Tiles.
'They also have end of line sheds so for something like a backsplash you can get enough in their end of line tiles! For so so cheap,' she said.
Tip: She highly recommended purchasing 'end of line' kitchen appliances - meaning disconnected products the retailer will no longer reorder and stock
The 28-year-old mother is known for her top cooking secrets to feeding a family on a budget
Krechelle said to see what kind of floor you have under your laminate before proceeding with renovations.
She said it was important to get quotes from at least three different businesses.
'Our third guy charged us three thousand cheaper for our whole house then the first guy. And was so more helpful than the first,' she said.
Most watched News videos
- Turpin: CCTV appears to show siblings after parents' arrests
- Police dashcam footage captures 'reckless' Audi S4 driver
- Simon Barnes who played Tinky Winky in Teletubbies passes away
- Comedian Steve Brown attacked by audience member at show
- 'Shoplifting' customer runs at Tesco staff with stick during fight
- Jane Fonda visits an anti aircraft battery camp in Vietnam
- Comedian Steve Brown talks about being attacked on stage
- Shooting in Midtown Manhattan leaves three men wounded
- Man accused of stealing from bins punched to the ground in street
- Tsunami warning in Alaska prompts queues of people waiting to evacuate
- Coffin of Dolores O'Riordan is being carried into church
- National champ Mattie Larson slams pedophile doc Larry Nassar