BLACK DOG: After Greening's resignation lots of Tories are looking to Ruth Davidson for salvation as the pair join up for party fundraiser
After the shambles of the botched reshuffle – capped by Education Secretary Justine Greening flouncing on to the backbenches – many Tories are looking to Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson for salvation. And who was the star turn joining Greening at a party fundraiser in her Putney constituency last Friday evening? The very same Ruth Davidson. Keep an eye on those two, Prime Minister…
Justine Greening leaves 10 Downing Street after resigning from the position of Secretary of State for Education (left) - many Tories are looking to Scottish Tory leader Ruth Davidson (right) for salvation
Keeping a close eye on the reshuffle was the ‘first lady of football’ Karren Brady – West Ham’s vice-chair and a Tory peer – who is tired of being confused with Cabinet Minister Karen Bradley. ‘This time last year people thought I was the Culture Secretary,’ she said. ‘Now they think I am the new Northern Ireland Secretary. It’s Karen (with one R) Bradley (with an LE).’
Apprentice Star Karren Brady (left) is frustrated at being confused with Noethern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley (right)
Unlike most of his colleagues, new Tory chairman Brandon Lewis, left, has a name that echoes around the world. Unfortunately for Lewis, that is mainly due to the prolific output of his namesake – a gay porn star. The other Brandon Lewis, above left, starred in a string of explicit titles, such as I Am A Married Man!, before hanging up his thong in 2013. The PM will sympathise: business has been booming for topless model Teresa May since David Cameron left Downing Street.
The resignation of Toby Young from a university watchdog over obscene tweets – after protests from pro-Corbyn MPs – prompted cries of hypocrisy from Tories. They questioned how Corbyn had got away with appointing disgraced Lord Watson of Invergowrie as Lords education spokesman. Watson once served eight months in prison for arson. They have a point.
Toby Young stood down from his role at the University regulator over 'obscene tweets'
Barely had Mr Corbyn tried to hurry up his Shadow Cabinet meeting last week by warning they had a ‘very busy agenda’ than up went Emily Thornberry’s hand. ‘Before you start, I want to make a statement on Iran,’ boomed the Shadow Foreign Secretary. Dog hears it sparked an unusually sharp retort from mild-mannered Corbyn. ‘Make it quick,’ he growled.
Noting super-fit Tory MP Shailesh Vara’s promotion to Minister dealing with Northern Ireland, a Twitter user observed: ‘Shailesh has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. New approach to Stormont talks?’
Most watched News videos
- Couple arrested over 'worst ever child abuse death'
- Coffin of Dolores O'Riordan is being carried into church
- YouTubers Ally Law and Ryan Taylor break into CBB house
- Team Brady: Gisele cheers on husband Tom and the Patriots
- Crime scene in Brownhills where young girl died from a stabbing
- Baby sloth on a beach cries for help after surviving a storm
- 'France would probably vote out': President Emmanuel Macron
- Women's March protesters rally outside The Lincoln Memorial
- 'I've never foot faulted in my life': Kyrgios angry at umpire
- The street in Birmingham that makes a family feel TRAPPED
- Mourners arrive at funeral of Home and Away star Jessica Falkholt
- Stormy Daniels seen for first time since 'Trump affair' revealed